The resource allocation offers insight in the planned, requested and allocated resources of a project. The overview is created such that it is easy to request hours based on the planned hours from the resource planning, and such that it is immediately clear how many hours the resource manager has allocated.
This article answers the following questions:
- What is the goal of the resource allocation tab?
- What can I do with the different settings of the resource allocation tab?
- How do I use the resource allocation tab?
What is the goal of the resource allocation tab?
The resource allocation tab offers an overview of the planned, requested and allocated hours for a project. The project manager plans the necessary resources in the resource planning, based upon which the resource allocation shows an overview of the planned resources. The project manager uses the overview to request resources from the resource manager, who can allocate hours and resources based on availability. This creates a clear overview of the planned and requested hours of the project manager and the allocated hours of the resource manager. Additionally, multiple colors indicate if more or fewer hours are planned than requested.
What can I do with the different settings of the resource allocation tab?
Edit Timeline Settings to open the settings of the resource allocation overview. There are a couple of things you can change here, so you can create the overview you need!
- Horizon: choose the period that is displayed on the timeline.
- Start date options: choose on what date the timeline starts. You can choose the following options:
- The current date
- A selected date
- Unit: select in what unit the number of planned resources are displayed. You can choose the following options:
- Hours (changes are spread out over period)
- Man days (changes are spread out over period)
- Days per working week (hours per working day x 5/8)
- Resource allocation process: choose the manner of requesting hours that fits your organization. You can choose the following options:
- Project request driven (‘Request’ is shown)
- Project demand driven (‘Planned’ is shown)
- Hybrid (‘Planned’ and ‘Request’ are shown)
How do I use the resource allocation tab?
- Start by editing the settings of the resource allocation. Choose the settings that fit the way your organization works. What can I do with the different settings of the resource allocation tab?
- Plan resources in the resource planning. The column Planned is filled with the planned resources from the resource planning. The number is either given by hours, man days, or days per working week.
- Request hours in the resource allocation tab by clicking the edit-button and filling in the hours you want to request in the column request for each resource.
- It is up to the resource manager to allocate the resources and up to the resources to update their availability. Read more about this process on How does the planning, requesting and allocating of hours is the resource allocation work?
- Check allocated resources. After the allocation of the resources by the resource, you can check the allocated resources for you project in the resource allocation tab. This overview can be downloaded in a PDF document by click the PDF-button on the top right of the screen.