Keep grip on a portfolio with the Portfolio app of the Fortes Change Cloud. The app consists of various tabs that together offer a functional and comprehensive overview in the portfolio. Use all tabs for optimum use of the Portfolio app.
This article answers the following questions:
- What is the purpose of the Portfolio app?
- What are the functionalities of the Portfolio app?
- How do I set up the Portfolio app?
What is the purpose of the Portfolio app?
With the Portfolio app you create overview in your portfolios. This makes it easier to manage a portfolio and to create insight into the progress of the portfolio items. In addition, the Portfolio app allows you to continue to focus on company-wide strategies and local objectives by visualizing and prioritizing the contribution of portfolio items to the objectives and strategies in the balancing tab. In addition, in the milestone planning you plan all important milestones and portfolio items, and you create insight into the required and available capacity in the capacity planning. Furthermore, the Portfolio app offers the possibility to map issues and risks.
What are the functionalities of the Portfolio app?
The Portfolio app consists of different tabs. The tabs together form a tool to put down your portfolio clearly and successfully complete it. However, each tab has its own functionality and goal. The functionality of each tab is explained below.
In the Portfolio funnel you visualize the portfolio process by creating process steps and distributing portfolio items over these process steps. Add canvasses to the various process steps so that the relevant information of each portfolio item is displayed. In this way you create insight into the progress of the portfolio process and the status of the portfolio items.
The Balancing tab contains all relevant information for the portfolio items. For example, you can create a comprehensive financial overview here and keep track of the statuses of the portfolio items. Use objectives, finances and fields to display the information and rank the portfolio items based on priority.
With the Milestone Planning you create a schedule according to the Gantt principles. Plan the portfolio items and create sub-items for important components or milestones. Also add mutual interdependencies to indicate that a portfolio item can only be started when another is completed. The resulting planning provides insight into the course of the portfolio process and serves as a guide for capacity planning.
The Capacity Planning provides insight into the required and available capacity for items within the portfolio, by entering these in the tab. This makes it easy to see whether the schedule needs to be adjusted.
Use the Objectives follow tab to view the performance of the portfolio or of the portfolio items per objective. In this way you can see at a glance whether progress is being made and which objective requires extra attention. In addition, it is possible to set objectives for the current portfolio, both from a company-wide strategy and a local objective for this portfolio.
The Issues tab allows you to keep track of the issues within the process. Indicate whether the issue is a question, change request, care or another type and assign it to a specific person. In addition, you can add columns yourself in this tab, so that the overview becomes exactly the way you want it!
Track the risks of a portfolio in the Risks tab. In this tab you indicate the probability and impact of a risk, and you assign the risk to someone. You can also add columns in this tab to organize the overview the way you want!
How do I set up the Portfolio app?
- Create a new portfolio by clicking
Add Portfolioat the dashboard of the Portfolio app.
- You can also choose to add a new portfolio with a best practice as basis. This means that a number of things in the portfolio are created automatically, for example the process steps in the portfolio funnel. You decide which portfolios can be used as best practice and which elements from the portfolio are used as best practice.
- Don’t forget to add yourself as a manager to the portfolio! If you do not do this, you may not be able to edit the portfolio yourself.
- Click on a portfolio to view it. Are there any tabs that you think you will not use? Make them invisible by clicking on the settings button and deselecting the tabs.
- Ensure that all relevant persons can access the portfolio. This is done by clicking
Membersand adding the relevant persons in the relevant roles. For example, there may be several managers within a portfolio, or it may be important that all program managers can view the portfolio.
- Start by filling in the tabs. For example, start defining process steps in the portfolio funnel.